Sunday, February 12, 2006

Turnaround and Look Back...

There is no denying it...50...50...50...50...I am turning...well I think you get it. And yet, I feel gooooooood. I am just getting started. Yeah, life has been good before this birthday. I say to people " hey it's been 50 years of fun and frolic " But, no, it hasn't always been... I have had men in balaclavas point AK47's at my head during one of my trips to Ireland, I have had my jaw broken in Gastown when I was 19, I have been rushed to the hospital when I had meningitis.My left shoulder has been dislocated three times. I have been shot at by drunk hunters. I have been attacked by a man with a knife in a travel trailer and witnessed the aftermath of a hanging. I have experienced the decision to take my own life at one point... My guess is that if you talk to any man over 50, he has some stories...Yes, some good, very good memories as well. I remember talking with Pierre Trudeau and shaking his hand, I have seen the Hollies, beach boys, stones, and many other bands in their prime.I have been to every province in this country before I turned 17. I have lived as a child in this nation when children truly ran free. In those long summers we would leave the house at 8:30 am at the age of 6 to 12 and come back only for meals. I have watched people being born and I have seen people pass away before me: violently and peacefully. In all of this, the Jesus who has always been there, whether I sought him or not, seems to be so much more than I ever thought possible. I always smile inside when people ask me " where was God? " during some disaster or horrible crime or war. He was... and is always...there to pick up the pieces from our inhumanity to each other. I have in no way become cynical about God. I still retain a sense of romance about the possibilities life holds. I owe all of this to the God that made me and the way he has worked through so many others. Will there be other difficulties and downturns in the rest of my life ? Definitely...but Jesus will be there even when my heart is overwhelmed and I don't believe he is closeby. How do I know this ? Because across 50 years of life, I see him so clearly when I take the time to turnaround and look back...

5 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

Already? Where did the time go? It's been real and raw, unusual and beautiful all at the same time. Just starting to have the best of times. Hope your birthday is a happy one Mark.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Susan Kirchmayer said...

you're right - 50 is just the beginning of the adventure.
happy birthday!

2:15 PM  
Blogger KEG said...

As our father, Ross used to say, "Life, how sweet it is!" Happy Birthday .. Old Man!

6:18 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Dude, I couldn't help but comment b/c I was freaking out about turning twenty a week or two ago! ;) It's nice to get a little perspective (lol). But anyway, happy birthday, and no more Ak47's, okay? ^_^.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Miss-buggy said...

Happy Birthday

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home