Friday, October 28, 2005

He's Got Your Back...

In March 2002 a squad of American Paratroops had just landed by helicopter in front of an Al Quaeda stronghold in the mountains of Afghanistan. As his squad landed, the lead officer's heart filled with a sense of horror as he came to the stark realisation that it was a trap and his troops were about to become slaughtered. Fire rained down on them immediately from all sides of their landing zone. despite the gusto and determination of his troops on landing, he knew they were completely helpless... Just as suddenly, the Al Queada forces began dropping all around his squad. With no apparent noise or report from their own weapons the Americans began to see the enemy simply fall over on all sides. From an impossible distance of over 2 kilometres, a four man squad of Canadian snipers were dropping the enemy as they began attacking. Official reports suggest that over 20 Al Queda guerillas were killed by the Canadian Snipers before they withdrew back into their lairs. The American Military tried to give the Canadians medals for bravery for saving their lives, but they were refused. "We were simply doing our job", was the reply.
So often in my life I have asked God "why certain circumstances in my life were taking place?",
"Why does it feel as if their is no reason to hope?" " How can I escape being trapped on all sides?" Yet, in strange ways ( in retrospect ) God has got my back. He builds in new positive relationships. He covered me and I didn't even know it was taking place. Later in a time of thankfulness and even tears at times I speak to God with some sense of amazement and he tells me that " This is what I'm doing all of the time, Mark, I'm simply doing my job: I've got your back"

8 Comments:

Blogger brandermcdonald said...

yup... He never leaves us of forsakes us... He also is our warrior and protector and provider.

5:55 AM  
Blogger KEG said...

Paul found that out very clearly that God has his back in Acts. Our pastor has been doing a series of sermons on Acts and Paul's journey to Rome. At various times in Acts Paul is on the verge of death. Such as "Acts 21 " The whole city was in an uproar, and the people turned into a mob. They grabbed Paul and .... were about to kill Paul ....As soon as the mob saw the commander and soldiers, they stopped beating Paul." and in Acts 23 Paul's nephew over hears a death plot. Anyway God had his back. I know the has yours too.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Dougie said...

yes! muslims dead, americans walk home. I love it when God chooses sides in wars!

5:03 PM  
Blogger lori said...

Thanks Mark, its Mike, great analogy. I need to remember that the Lord is covering me today.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Tysey said...

Thanks for that. You put into words what I have been thinking for a long time now.

5:27 PM  
Blogger mark said...

Fair enough dougie...I would agree that the USA is essentially a country that is run by a leadership of "adolescents with guns". Conversely, I am using an analogy concerning a battle with the Taliban. I would hate to equate all muslims with the Taliban any more than I would equate all Christians with hardcore fundamentalist lobbies in the United States. I am certain that the Turks felt similarily vindicated by their victory over the British at Galipoli. Or...the victory of the North Vietnamese over the americans at the battle of PLei Ku. My mother was raised in working class Belfast under the boot of the British Army . I have no allusions about "sides" so much as I believe that God acts in the lives of many different people of all walks. Perhaps even the Americans at times in spite of themselves.

12:01 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

i've got your back mark... especially after seeing your front!

8:55 PM  
Blogger KEG said...

Hey Dougie you missed the point and ... you could talk of Lawrence of Arabia and the Turks or whatever. Muslim / American is not the point... I like your comment Scott...

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home