Monday, May 08, 2006

Our Deepest Fear...


Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous,
talented and fabulous ?
Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God.
Your playing small doesn't serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other
people will not feel insecure around you.
We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine,
we unconsciously give people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear,
Our presence liberates others.

- Nelson Mandela
Inaugural speech, 1994

4 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:41 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I love that quote, I have it on my wall.
Although, it's not by Mandela, which is crazy, because you hear that everywhere - I was shocked to find that out! All those posters and stuff. He never even *said* it (and this is what I remember from 1st year African History..)
I know this isn't the most "reputable" source, but it's all I could find.. http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Marianne_Williamson&oldid=51235709
Anyway, she's pretty neat, and her books are both challenging & provoking.

*removed and edited to fix link. sorry!

11:46 PM  
Blogger mark said...

yep, I checked out the original inaugural speech in it's full form. This is NOT part of it...but, yes an interesting quote.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Forgiven said...

hey nice post. are you reading waking the dead by john eldredge?

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home