Saturday, July 23, 2005

I need to: Simplify, Use God's eyesight, and Thrive...

I am inspired by a friend and others to clean up my language, grow in the joy of my offspring and sleep well knowing that we are loved. The return on this is that I would encourage anyone who has adrenal glands like mine that tend to overwhelm
my reasoned self-talk... to take stock. Most often the first lie I believe when someone has hurt me or even unfairly critisized my personal competence is that I am alone in this. Not true, if someone appears unusually persistent in their zeal to accuse me, it is very likely that others have suffered the same fate at the hands of the same bully . Secondly, despite my negative self-evaluation under the onslaught, these people really don't know me, my life, or the best things I have done with my life. Finally, the perceived need to gain revenge or vengence on the Bullies in this life is truly wasted when , despite the hurt,
I begin to see that the " bullies" we experience are often poor in spirit, impoverished in honest self-evaluation, and dangerously ill-prepared for personal tragedy. It is similar to King David's writings in psalm 73 " For I was envious of the arrogant...They are free from the burdens of men, neither are they plagued like other men...They scoff and speak with malice. In arrogance, they threaten oppression. Therefore their people return to them and they drink up waters of abundance. Surely in vain I have cleansed my heart...For all day long I have been plagued and punished every morning...When I tried to understand this, it was too painful for me. Until I entered God's santuary and considered their latter end ...As a dream when one wakes up, so Lord when you awake, you will despise their fantasies...For my soul was grieved and I was embittered in my heart...nevertheless, I am continually with you. You have held my right hand. You will give me your counsel..."
This is amazing stuff. Written 1000's of years ago, yet David is such a contemporary, heart on the sleeve kinda guy ( are you sure he wasn't Irish ? ) He was a murderer, adulterer, rejected by his family and sold by his own brothers into slavery...yet he learned so much from his hurt . He truly lived because of what he discovered as he changed in this foolishness, suffering, and passion. The Irony is that we are in much better shape than those who bully us. They must create a world around them that dosn't have the flexibility we have grown used to. The stiff branch appears strong without storms, but when the wind blows hard, the branches that can bend will survive and the stiffer branches will crack under the onslaught. I must admit that despite knowing all this, it is still tough to be the Jesus that has compassion on these people. Until I arrive in that heartspace, I will acknowledge God's love for them in the belief that I will understand them someday with the same compassion God has shown me in my worst moments.

1 Comments:

Blogger brandermcdonald said...

being bullied is not fun. know it full well. its good to know that they are like roaring (toothless and old) lions strutting around seeking whom they may devour. looking for easy prey. thankfully God has not given to us a spirit of fear but of love and of power and of a sound mind. thanks for the post. blessings.

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home