Saturday, October 11, 2008

Our Children Are Us...

When my son is hurting, I hurt more than I do for me with less control over that life.

My age and wisdom allows me to know it will not last, but I walk through his hopeless feelings with him regardless. I am a counsellor and I have told many parents, with the certainty of 22 years of counselling experience, that the current hell of suffering for their offspring will pass. I am correct in the vast majority of circumstance that this is a reasonable statement.

All bets are off when it is my child. Others have told me what I have told them at other times. This is reassuring, but the current pain of my boy is something I want to tear away from the very sinew of his body and eat it, swallow it, and wear it, if it will save him from it.

In the long view, I know that he will learn and be formed by this pain and he will in time help others because of the journey he is taking now. But, God help me, in these times I will use everything that I am to keep him from the abyss. There are millions of parents all over the world in many lands doing this very thing right now. At the very least, I know that the God that made us all is listening.

Thank you...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home