Thursday, December 08, 2005

I can almost hear the Sun set...

The difficulties and roadblocks that stand in the way of dreams only make their realization sweeter.
I am learning to listen. Yeah, I'm a counsellor and it is easy to listen to a stranger, but it's harder to listen to those you know and love best. At times I try too hard to anticipate the next thought, feeling of those I know best...as a foolhardy gesture to try and be there for them. No, they want to be given the distance and respect that the "stranger" receives. Finally, when it is given: true attentiveness, listening, it can be an act of love in and of itself. My doctor told me today after looking at my knee X-rays that my joints are beat up, worn out from close to 50 years of over zealous abuse and that ...I must not do anymore competitive running. Ouch! that hurt more than my knees ever did. I have a high pain threshold. Translation: I didn't listen to my own body. Once again listening is important. I will always be a "fixer". That is someone who tries to fix things for other people. But I learn, as I go, that sometimes the best fix for others and ourselves is just to stop and ...listen

4 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

The thought came to me today, (from one 'fixer' to another) that it is a gift sometimes to accept the help of another, to allow them the blessing of giving. What a concept! I hope that you can sit back sometimes and let others be blessed by helping you.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Miss-buggy said...

That is a good thought. I too have always been the type of person that you described. The fixer. Always have to be the one to make things better. I too am learning that sometimes someone may not want me to fix it but just to listen. Again, good thought. One worth remembering.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

well said, especially when it comes to God it is so hard to sit and listen. He may not even show up that day, but you try to listen just incase. I'm sorry to hear about your knee.

Guess where I'm writing this from? My ever so exhilarating Capp Class! :)

9:58 AM  
Blogger KEG said...

Yes, you are right!

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home